Rest to resist
I hit the outrage wall doing 90 recently. It felt like every time I stepped away from the computer I would come back to some new bit of awfulness.
Even when I was trying to work I would check newsfeeds, get distracted- re-post something, make a call, check a fact, engage with someone who commented on something I posted…
Lather, rinse, repeat.
I got done getting the kids ready for bed, let the dogs out. Saw that someone had retweeted a well-known white supremacist, who expressed his delight at how well this is all going.
I started to cry.
You guys. We’re three and a half weeks in. Are you exhausted?
I am. I’m exhausted.
I’ve been making excuses to not do things because I feel a responsibility to pay attention to every headline, weigh in on every issue, check every fact, call every elected official- and I’ve been forgetting to take care of myself.
4 years. 1460 days. And we’re 28 days in.
Sweet friends, we have got to remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. We cannot give away what we do not have. We cannot pour from an empty cup.
Eat. Sleep. Exercise. Laugh. Pet dogs. Dance. Flirt. Fall in love. Make art. Read books for pleasure. Get your ass to a meeting. Go outside. Drink water. Get quiet. Breathe salty air. Pray. Unplug- for the LOVE, please unplug from time to time.
We need every voice to speak out. We need every pair of feet to march. We need every heart to break.
We can’t get complacent. We can’t ignore what’s going on. We cannot un-know what we know.
In times like these, let’s call them ‘dumpster fire days,’ it’s more important than ever to seek joy like it’s your job.
Stay woke, my loves. But also, REST.
Here are ten things that are filling me up right now. Please tell me what you’re doing for self-care in the comments!
- Heading away to Austin for a long weekend with my Favorite. No kids. #thankyouJesus
- My dog. All dogs. Probably your dog. What do people without dogs even DO with themselves right now?
- Checking in on my people. When I start to get too stressed I text people I haven’t chatted with in a while and see how they’re doing. Connection helps. No being alone with the internet. S’no good.
- UNPLUGGING. Seriously. Step. Away. From. Twitter.
- La La Land. Have you seen it? It’s not going to change anyone’s life and there are serious movies out there that deserve your attention- but this is a completely delightful slice of unabashedly romantic escapism pie. Also, Ryan Gosling- which I never *got* before, but now. I. DO. Late to the party, but I’m here.
- Boooooooks. Just finished James Prescott’s Mosaic of Grace (see book review page) and Rachel Macy Stafford’s Only Love Today (review coming soon!) Also, just heard Jen Hatmaker’s new book is called Of Mess and Moxie – so we’ve got that going for us.
- This Is Us. I can’t even talk about it…. ohYESican. Randall. William. Our Kate. Jack. Nope. I was right. I can’t.
- Tiny subversive acts. They are unbelievably restorative. I tweet to the Senate Majority Leader every morning. He and I are going to be great friends. I can feel it. He hasn’t responded yet- but nevertheless, I persist. seewhatididthere?
- Make a difference in YOUR community. Meet a need right in front of you. Small acts. Great love.
- Listen for the voices of love. Hate and fear are so LOUD- sometimes it’s easy to think those the only stories being told. They’re NOT. Here are just a few people you can reliably turn to for love stories:
Okay, my loves. If I’m writing this book (and I am) I need your help- I need to build this platform.
Please consider doing the following:
Come hang out with me on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter!
Come see what my dog is doing on Instagram!
If you’re following me on Pinterest… don’t. And I’m sorry. I don’t even know how I ended up there…